Monday, December 1, 2008

Positive choices

On days when it's really, really hard to get up and go to work (such as *ahem* the Monday after a five-day weekend), it helps to remind myself that having a job, and having this job, is my choice and not a great big have-to.

I'll say: "I chose to have this job. I could quit anytime, but I don't because I wouldn't like the consequences."

Hmm... that still sounds kind of yucky and oppressive. But today, instead, I said this:

"I chose to have this job. I could quit anytime, but I don't because there are too many good reasons to keep it."

Ahhh that feels better! Amazing how that one little rewording makes my chest a little less tight and my mood a little lighter.

Choosing something because there are good reasons to do it feels and sounds a LOT better than choosing something because bad things might happen if you don't choose it.

No comments: