Friday, January 8, 2010

You gotta follow that dream to find the love you need

Today would be Elvis's 75th birthday! Now, while I don't listen to his music all that much anymore, my mom was one of those HUUUUGE Elvis fans, so I grew up in a totally Elvis-saturated household. His birthday was usually something of a holiday in our house, and my mom would make peanut butter and banana sandwiches and play his movies all day.

This blog, in fact, is named after one of my favorite Elvis movies. It's about a family homesteading in Florida, meaning the literal definition of homesteading: squatting on land and developing it until it's legally yours. Now, in a lot of ways it's your typical "Elvis sings to pretty girls on the beach" movie, but as a kid what I loved about it was watching how a family could build up a place from just raw land to something they could live on. But in case you do like hearing Elvis sing to pretty girls on a beach, here's the theme song:



While you're at it, why not have a look at Sandra Dodd's Elvis page? He's "educational"! Really!

Happy birthday, Elvis!

No comments: