Monday, September 22, 2008

Fall is here!

Hooray, it's finally fall! Well, officially that is. Here in Florida it still feels pretty warm, and our leaves basically don't turn until January. But I decided to put up some fall decorations anyway, since it isn't quite time for the Halloween ones yet.


This is our table, which looks a lot nicer when the cat isn't rearranging it to suit his comfort needs. Those are our regular placemats and candles, and I just added a tablecloth I found in the dollar bin at Target.


This is my bedroom window. You can't really see it, but those are jack o' lantern lights. I got them from Target or Walmart, I forget which, a few years ago. And then there's also a string of regular white Christmas lights. The leaf garland I made, out of silk leaves from the dollar bin at Target. I painted them with glitter-glue and then hot glued them to a string of brown yarn.

And that was my uncharacteristic Martha Stewart moment. Revel in it now, because there probably won't be another one for several thousand years.

Oh yeah, and for good measure, here is a fall meme. I got this from Dawn over at By Sun and Candlelight.

When does fall begin for you?
I start thinking about it in late August, but to me fall starts right after my birthday (9/17).
But we don't get fall weather till mid-October :(


What is your favorite aspect of fall?
Cooler weather, Halloween, Thanksgiving, the fair


What is your favorite fall memory?
Hmm... I have a lot of memories that happened in fall, but I guess a good fall-specific one is going to the corn maze with the elementary school kids a couple times.
They have a HAYRIDE


What do you like to drink in the fall?
Aside from the same crap I always drink, I looove apple cider. Especially heated up in the crockpot with cinnamon and stuff, yum. And sometimes I will venture out into Halloween Jones Soda if I'm feeling brave.
I also liked Mountain Dew Pitch Black a lot until they discontinued it D:


What's your favorite fall food?
Sweet potatoes, well I like them all year but they taste better in the fall. Squash casserole, pumpkin pie, all the stuff we eat on Thanksgiving basically.
Also Halloween candy, especially those little things that are made of candy corn but they're shaped like pumpkins


What is fall weather like where you live?
It stays pretty warm until mid-October, then cools down pretty crisp.
Well, crisp by Florida standards, which is like 70F in the afternoon


What color is fall?
Red and orange, and kinda brown in November.
I do not know why I associate November specifically with brown, but I do


What does fall smell like?
Pumpkin pie spice, and that smell after it just rained and is kinda chilly


Holiday shopping in fall: yes or no?
Yes, if I have money.
I like to get stuff done early so I'm not rushed


If you could go anywhere in the fall, where would you go?
Somewhere cold enough that I can dress in layers.
I always like "fall clothes" but it doesn't get cold enough here to wear them until winter


What is your favorite fall sport?
Eww, sports.
Does diving into piles of leaves count?


Do you have a favorite fall chore?
Favorite chore? If it was a favorite thing I wouldn't consider it a chore. I guess decorating for Halloween, and Christmas (we decorate for Christmas on Thanksgiving).
But that's not a chore, that's fun :p


What is your least favorite thing about fall?
It doesn't cool off fast enough and makes me hate Florida even more than I already do :p


What is your favorite fall holiday?
Thanksgiving


What's your favorite kind of pie?
Justina and I were talking about this the other day - I think pumpkin and pecan are tied for first in my pie hierarchy.
Pierarchy?


What was your favorite Halloween costume?
When I was 16 I dressed up as an "alien" with as many bizarre neon colors and glitter and stuff as possible.
I looked like a raver, basically


What's your favorite Halloween candy?
Reese's cups, and those little Tootsie Rolls that are like, fruit flavored


What's your least favorite Halloween candy?
Mary Janes and bubblegum


Which do you prefer, the Farm or the Fair?
Fair!! Though honestly our fairs around here are kinda like going to a farm too, in that there are animals to look at and the whole place reeks of cow poop


Do you have a favorite fall book?
Most books I read are not seasonal.
Though I usually reread the one Babysitters Club mystery about the haunted masquerade around Halloween, because that book is just creepy


How about a favorite fall poem?
I don't pay attention to poetry.
I guess The Raven is good for Halloween :p

No comments: