Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Omnivore's Hundred

I was blogsurfing today and found this list, from Very Good Taste. While I definitely don't agree with the author's assertion that everyone "should" try all these foods, I think it's an interesting meme and there are certainly things on here that I'd consider trying.

Directions:
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.

(I'm also adding asterisks to what I haven't eaten, but would particularly like to try)

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue*
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi*
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes*
19. Steamed pork buns*
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche*
28. Oysters
29. Baklava (yum!!)
30. Bagna cauda*
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl (Clam chowder grosses me out)
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar (no to the cigar, not the cognac)
37. Clotted cream tea*
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O*
39. Gumbo* (I actually can't remember if I've tried this or not)
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala*
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone (endangered)
54. Paneer*
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle*
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips*
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst*
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain*
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette (It is bizarre not to see this written "chitlins")
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong*
80. Bellini (I despise peach)
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant (???)
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab (Only because they're kept in one piece *shudder*)
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake (Despite being a Floridian, still no. Though I will admit the fried gator tail at the fair smells good, at least.)


It was extremely useful that Fez was online while I was doing this, so I could bug him about all the weird Indian/South Asian foods and whether they're good or not. (This was probably mean, since it's Ramadan and the middle of the day in Singapore and the poor dude is hungry. Darn, I guess I won't be winning any "World's Greatest Friend" awards anytime soon. Ah well, I'd probably lose them anyway due to excessive Myspace bulletins and never checking my voicemail.)

I also want to add that I have totally eaten ants, but they weren't whole. They were crushed up in chocolate. See, in a biology class I took a few years ago, the teacher offered us something like 2 points of extra credit if we'd eat these things. (There was some vague educational relevance to this, but I don't remember what it was.) I wanted the points, so I ate a piece. It was actually pretty good, kinda like a Crunch bar. But later I got a job as that particular professor's assistant, and she told me one day about how her students jump through hoops for all these little points even though the total points for the class were so many that two points couldn't possibly affect your final letter grade. I started to laugh at her students' failure to realize this, until it dawned on me that I'd been one of her students. "Hahaha, those dumb- HEY! Wait a second, I ate ants for you! ANTS!!"

Oh well. At least they were chocolate-covered.

No comments: