Saturday, August 16, 2008

Quirks!

Got this from Sandra's blog.

-Mention six quirky yet boring, unspectacular details about yourself. Tag six other bloggers by linking to them. Go to each person's blog and leave a comment that lets them know they've been tagged. If you participate, let the person who tagged you know you've posted your quirks!-

I personally never think quirks are boring, but I've tried to come up with some that involve fairly mundane things, anyway.

1. I absolutely cannot stand peaches. Even when I was a baby I wouldn't touch them, and the smell makes me gag. (This is true more of canned peaches than fresh ones, though I won't eat those either.) This is the only food I am completely averse to purely for flavor reasons (as opposed to indigestion, ethics, etc.) According to my mom she ate tons and tons of peaches when she was pregnant with me. I don't know if there's any connection there, but it's interesting to think about.

2. I'm fascinated by people's living spaces. I particularly love seeing the rooms and apartments of people around my age, since their interests are often prominently displayed through posters, CDs and DVDs in plain view, etc. I like to see how people organize (or don't organize) their belongings, how they arrange their furniture, what sorts of things they own, and so on. I think you can tell a lot about a person by their living space and what kind of stuff they keep in it.

3. I've always loved small spaces. When I was a kid I used to play with my dolls in my grandma's closet, and I always wished I had an attic bedroom or even one of those Dutch cupboard beds. I think it'd be neat to go to Japan and stay in a capsule hotel. My house has an attic that we've never explored because it's basically just a crawlspace with no floor and there's no ladder, but I occasionally have dreams that there's a whole second floor up there we just haven't discovered, full of neat old furniture and unopened trunks and the like.

4. I absolutely love that overwhelming lumber smell you get when you walk into Home Depot. My grandfather and my dad used to do a lot of building projects around our property when I was very little, so I think there's a nostalgia element there. It smells very familiar and exciting to me.

5. I hate the color blue. I like off-shades of blue, like aqua and indigo. But pure blue just looks garish and ugly to me. To me it seems overused, and is like a default color that's waiting to be turned into something else. The page I am writing this on has a lot of blue on it, and it's making me edgy.

6. I can't sleep without music on. If for some reason it goes off during the night, I wake up immediately. I have two Pandora stations devoted entirely to music that helps me sleep (mostly stuff like Enya, George Winston, Libera, etc.) When I stay at other people's houses I have to play my iPod until I'm almost asleep and then turn it off, and then I don't sleep well because it wasn't on all night.

And I tag... anyone who wants to do it! :)

2 comments:

Sandra Dodd said...

-=-I occasionally have dreams that there's a whole second floor up there we just haven't discovered, full of neat old furniture and unopened trunks and the like.-=-

OH!!! I had a dream like that, that there was another wing of our house that nobody was using and I offered it to Marty instead of the room he's in and he was really happy, but I was going to have to clear a LOT of things out that belonged to the previous owner who had died and left me the house. COOL stuff.

And I have those dreams a couple of times a year. I have heard or read (I forget) that the classic dream interpretation explanation of that is that you're realizing your potential--you're reminding yourself that you DO have much more than you're using.

Cool, huh?

I used to go straight to the bookshelf when I visited other houses to see what books they had. That told me a lot about them. That doesn't work so well anymore. I used to like to see where there phones were, too, so I could picture their surroundings when I was talking to them on the phone. Cordless and cell phones made that less useful.

Now I like to see their computers--where they are when they're on the computer or what their laptop background is. It's not as rich an image as their house and phone in older times, but I liked reading your quirk.

Sandra Dodd said...

-=-OH!!! I had a dream like that, that there was another wing of our house-=-

Two nights ago, I meant to write. Just had that dream. I could draw a picture of the whole bedroom, dressing room, bathroom...